Saturday, June 26, 2010

USDA Missouri Agriculture Report - Missouri Hog and Pig Inventory Unchanged from March

(COLUMBIA, Mo.) - The June 1, 2010 inventory of Missouri hogs and pigs is estimated at 3.0 million head according to the USDA’s Missouri Agricultural Statistics Service. “Although death loss is as high as it was last June, pig crop numbers are up due to the highest Missouri litter rate on record,” says Gene Danekas, Director. “Total inventories are unchanged from March, but 50,000 head below last June.” Breeding hogs are estimated at 350,000 head, 1 percent below the previous quarter, but 1 percent above last year. Market hogs are estimated at 2.65 million head, slightly down from March 1, 2010 and 2 percent below a year earlier.
The March-May pig crop was estimated at 1.86 million head, up 3 percent from the same period a year earlier and slightly above the December-February quarter. Farrowings, at 185,000 sows, were down 10,000 sows from a the previous quarter, but the same as last year. Pigs saved per litter, at 10.05 pigs, rose 3 percent from the 9.8 pigs saved in the same quarter a year earlier and 6 percent from the 9.5 pigs saved the previous quarter.
Missouri hog producers intend to farrow 180,000 sows during June-August, 5,000 head fewer than the number that were actually farrowed during the same period a year earlier. During September-November, hog producers expect to farrow 190,000 sows, the same as the actual farrowings in the comparable period a year earlier.
U.S. Hog Inventory down 4 Percent
U.S. inventory of all hogs and pigs on June 1, 2010 was 64.4 million head. This was down 4 percent from June 1, 2009, but up 1 percent from March 1, 2010.
Breeding inventory, at 5.79 million head, was down 3 percent from last year, but up slightly from the previous quarter. Market hog inventory, at 58.6 million head, was down 4 percent from last year, but up 1 percent from last quarter.
The March-May 2010 pig crop, at 28.2 million head, was down 3 percent from 2009 and down 2 percent from 2008. Sows farrowing during this period totaled 2.87 million head, down 5 percent from 2009 and down 6 percent from 2008. The sows farrowed during this quarter represented 50 percent of the breeding herd. The average pigs saved per litter was a record high 9.81 for the March-May 2010 period, compared to 9.61 last year. Pigs saved per litter by size of operation ranged from 7.70 for operations with 1-99 hogs and pigs to 9.90 for operations with more than 5,000 hogs and pigs

No comments: